You, the Kids, and What to do With Them on Valentine’s Day
Every year my mom was my Valentine. No shame in saying that either. Whether I was single or in a relationship, we always exchanged something: cards, flowers, teddy bears, small boxes of chocolate — a little something special to show our love and appreciation for each other.
Love from a child’s parents is the first kind of love they experience. Making them feel special and ensuring that they understand that you love them before anyone else is super important for them to know early on and imperative to their growth. So no, Valentine’s day with your kids isn’t trash or lame especially if they’re still young. And no, it doesn’t mean you didn’t have anything else better to do either. It just means you chose a special and sweet way to bond with your little sweetheart.
Here are 5 inexpensive things you can do at home with your kids on Valentine’s Day:
- Decorate your home – Whether it’s wrapping the door in pretty decorated paper or going all out with heart shaped decorations and streamers all over your living room, festive decorating is fun and creates a bonding moment. Listen to music while doing this or even bake Valentines’s Day inspired cookies.
- Bake – Heart shaped everything! This is especially fun if you have a younger child. They absolutely love helping out in the kitchen and creating a heart shaped cake or heart shaped cookies is another great bonding activity. Not to mention, tasty too!
- Exchange small gifts – Hand made cards, chocolates or even a little teddy bear, it’s the little things and there’s really nothing like a sweet Valentine’s Day gift from mommy and daddy.
- Hot chocolate/tea party date – If your little one hasn’t reached their scary pre teen years yet and is still remotely interested in spending time with you, this may be the cutest idea on this list. Here’s your chance to get really festive! Decorate the dining room and set the table like you’re at a fancy restaurant; the occasion, a hot chocolate date! Top this date off with some yummy snacks.
- Photoshoot – Whether you prefer professional photos or set up a studio in your own home, this is a really great way to show your affection for one another. Dress up in similar colors or matching outfits and really give your parents something to swoon over.